Welcome to the AllStarLink/Hamvoip GPL Tracker.
>Updated 12 September 2018
Since someone decided to engage in censorship and removed my post from https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/9a4y66/allstarlinkhamvoip_gpl_tracker/ — This is a verbatim reposting here.
I have been gilded for this and my GPL post under evidence! Thank you kind souls!
This post shall be used to track all the other various posts that we are seeing here regarding the spats, comments, deflections, ad hominem attacks, use of Juris Doctorates obtained from Google University, and the conclusions arrived at and poignant questions surrounding the Hamvoip derivative distribution of AllStarLink.
Hamvoip has been distributing a derivative of the GPL licensed app_rpt.c and associated programs copyrighted by the late Jim Dixon (WB6NIL) for quite some time. Repeated requests for the Hamvoip people to release the source code as required by the GPL have been unsuccessful and in most cases met with heavy resistance and/or flat out attacks.
Hamvoip consists of John David McGough (KB4FXC), Doug Crompton (WA3DSP) and John David's company of Inttek (www.inttek.net) as it provides many of the resources Hamvoip is using.
To date the source code of the Hamvoip derivative of app_rpt.c and associated AllStarLink programs HAS NOT been released as required by the GPL. Instead we have witnessed a very embarrassing public spectacle by John David and others as they stand by the indefensible claim that they do not need to release their derivative code and that the GPL license on app_rpt.c and associated AllStarLink programs is invalid. To date no definitive, irrefutable evidence that is beyond a reasonable doubt has been presented by the Hamvoip folks regarding this claim.
Evidence of the late Jim Dixon's wishes regarding AllStarLink and the app_rpt.c and associated programs
Updated 04 September 2018
Message from Steve RoDgers, WA6ZFT announcing Jim's passing and the status of AllStarLink http://lists.allstarlink.org/pipermail/app_rpt-users/2016-December/016078.html
Update from Steve Zingman, N4IRS regarding the transition http://lists.allstarlink.org/pipermail/app_rpt-users/2016-December/016094.html
Evidence of GPL and copyright violations
Updated 30 August 2018
- Analysis of apprpt.so in RPi2-3V1.5rc19Allstar.img file showing copyright in which John David is clearly trying to take ownership and the inclusion of the ASTERISKGPLKEY which is part of the self-attestation mechanisms used by code to show it complies with the GPL. https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/99u2kk/hamvoipusers_beware/e53y0l2/
Evidence from /u/netsound that the Hamvoip website was illegally distributing copyrighted software. Software has since been removed from the Hamvoip site. https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/9a4y66/allstarlinkhamvoip_gpl_tracker/e4suo2g/
John David McGough KB4FXC replied and also provided proof that he has in fact altered Asterisk itself to ignore the *ASTERISKGPLKEY* assertion at load.
Initial post – AllStarLink Changes https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/96v780/allstarlink_changes/
Second post – Asterisk, AllStarLink and the curious case of the GPL https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/98intv/asterisk_allstarlink_and_the_curious_case_of_the/
Third post – Hamvoip users – BEWARE! https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/99u2kk/hamvoip_users_beware/
Retort by Hamvoip to their closed and highly moderated mailing list – HamVoIP statement for Reddit and Facebook accusations http://lists.hamvoip.org/pipermail/arm-allstar/2018-August/009776.html
Mailing list retort posted to Reddit – HamVoiP statement for all AllStar Link Network users https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/99y25m/hamvoip_statement_for_all_allstar_link_network/
Me picking apart the Mailing list retort before it appeared on Reddit. I later replied to the Reddit posting of it with a link to my original reply. https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/99u2kk/hamvoip_users_beware/e4rp9nj/
Updated 08 September 2018
Replies by John David McGough (KB4FXC) or ones that are attributed to him under what are newly created
- Purported dubious claim that as of 07/28/2018 he wanted to “keep from fragmenting the AllStar Link Network” https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/96v780/allstarlink_changes/e4byfvf/
- When confronted about his past claims and claims from others regarding the release of source code amongst other things he goes on the attack https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/96v780/allstarlink_changes/e4a60oq/
- His response to a thread in which he states “the HamVoIP developers are the leader of at this point, IN MARKET SHARE” and linked in an old post from Internet Archive showing a concept drawing that was done back in 2004 in an attempt to claim the code is not GPL licensed. https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/96v780/allstarlink_changes/e4a6ku0/
- His claim regarding that ASTERISKGPLKEY somehow backs his claim that he doesn't need to abide by the GPL and in which he quoted section 6 but mentions section 7 of the GPL. Also includes a cherry picked legal case that is different from the matter at hand https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/96v780/allstarlink_changes/e4gbgyc/
- His “MARKET SHARE” posting was done twice. I responded to this one. https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/96v780/allstarlink_changes/e4a9xdl/
- His deflections and calling the “ASL, Inc” childish in their “attacks”. Another link to the Internet Archive from the same concept document in an attempt to claim the software in not licensed under the GPL. https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/96v780/allstarlink_changes/e4ffohy/
- First time he tries to figure out who I am and calls me Fred. https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/96v780/allstarlink_changes/e4ga3qe/
- Second time he tries to figure out who I am and calls me Stacy. https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/9a4y66/allstarlinkhamvoip_gpl_tracker/e4tt4cu/
- Third time he tried to figure out who I am and calls me Steve. https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/9a4y66/allstarlinkhamvoip_gpl_tracker/e4vv8as/
- Here he is calling me an “Oracle of FUD” https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/98intv/asterisk_allstarlink_and_the_curious_case_of_the/e4gvvql/
- Again claims that the GPL license doesn't apply due to the ASTERISKGPLKEY self-attestation mechanism violating the GPL. States section 7 but quotes section 6. https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/98intv/asterisk_allstarlink_and_the_curious_case_of_the/e4gdr6r/
- Another link to the Internet Archive of the old concept document in an attempt to claim the GPL doesn't apply and that the code is Public Domain. https://www.reddit.com/user/kb4fxc
- Accusations of libel and slander. https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/98intv/asterisk_allstarlink_and_the_curious_case_of_the/e4gxajo/
Burner account/u/crusaderforhire attempts to claim that code that was Public Domain and later had GPL code added automatically invalidated licensing of GPL code quite to the contrary of the GPL FAQ he linked. A comment he later deleted. https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/99u2kk/hamvoip_users_beware/e4sq1x2/
Burner account/u/crusaderforhire again replies about the code and states that the GPL is BS due to the author being deceased and not likely to sue. A comment he later deleted. https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/99u2kk/hamvoip_users_beware/e4stwat/
- Another link to the Internet Archive for the concept document from 2004 in an attempt to argue the GPL is invalid. https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/99y25m/hamvoip_statement_for_all_allstar_link_network/e4rbn7e/
New items in this section shall appear here. Old items will be moved up as updates to this section occur.
- Another Reddit user asks John David if he believes the negative karma that he has received (he has capped out at the -100 comment limit imposed by Reddit) is indicative that both the Amateur Radio Community and Reddit in general believes his lies. Please read the thread as it is very telling and also contains my reply. https://www.reddit.com/r/amateurradio/comments/99y25m/hamvoip_statement_for_all_allstar_link_network/e5d1cyg/